An interview can be intimidating even if you are the perfect person for the job. Improving your performance during an interview can be a matter of learning to alleviate your anxiety.
Preparing for your interview can be extremely helpful.
- Read about the company and what they do
- Prepare your responses to common interview questions (strengths, weaknesses, plans for the future, etc.)
- Remind yourself of the achievements that make you worthy of the job
Change your mind-set about the interview
- Remember that the interview is the best time to understand whether the company culture aligns with your values
- Think about it as an opportunity to learn more about the organisation, and not just an opportunity for them to interview you
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Avoid caffeine
- Set aside the clothes you’ll be wearing (Dress for success!)
- Plan to get to the interview 15 minutes ahead of time
During the interview
- Focus on your breathing to calm yourself
- If you need, ask for a second to gather yourself
- Take water with you and take small sips between questions